Peruvian Hearts – Girls’ Leadership and Empowerment
Peruvian Hearts empowers young women and enables them to reach their full potential through a unique formula. We combine enhanced educational opportunities along with mentorship and participation in service and structured empowerment classes to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to for these young women to rise up and break the cycle of poverty. Read more about why we focus on women.
- Provides complete financial scholarships for secondary school and college tuition in addition to room and board
- Provides a peer group that shows loving support and has shared values
- Offers structured empowerment classes and opportunities
- Provides the girls with direct 1:1 mentorship from selected mentors
- Reinforces and celebrates school engagement and achievement
- Provides opportunities for girls to participate in leadership and service throughout the community
- Prepares girls for higher education through enrollment in pre-university academies and private tutoring.
- Provides the girls with daily English classes.
- Works with families to increase support and communication
Peruvian Hearts scholars dream of being professionals such as: chemical engineers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, mining engineers, chefs, accountants, archeologists, civil engineers, teachers, hotel managers, and tourism specialists. Day after day, this inspirational group of young scholars continues to mature and grow stronger. Each girl continues to transform her life as she fulfills her dream to become a professional. Every young woman in Peruvian Hearts believes in herself and the power of her education and that it is her education that will ultimately be the key to a brighter future for herself and an improved quality of life for her entire family. Read more about our Peruvian Hearts scholars.
Girls are selected to be in the program based on the following criteria:
- She is between the approximate ages of 13-23
- She demonstrates academic strength and drive
- She and her family have great financial need
- Displays values of honesty, ambition, compassion, and kindness
- She shows leadership qualities and has a strong desire to give back to the community
- Her family commits to support her education
Peruvian Hearts Leadership: Three Key Aspects
Peruvian Hearts aims to unlock the potential of young women through the power of education, mentorship, and service to others, and to enable them to become leaders of their families, communities, and country. Our girls’ education and empower program increases the leadership potential in rural Peruvian girls through improved educational opportunities, development of their personal empowerment, and growing their understanding of goals through organizing service projects.
Peruvian Hearts scholars receive full financial support for their secondary-school education. After graduating from secondary school, each young woman has the opportunity to attend a pre-university academy to prepare for her college entrance exam. Once a girl has been accepted into a college or university, she is awarded a complete educational scholarship to support her post-secondary schooling and is also eligible to receive full support for her room and board. Read more about sponsoring a Peruvian Hearts scholar.
Peruvian Hearts scholars receive full financial support for their secondary-school education. After graduating from secondary school, each young woman has the opportunity to attend a pre-university academy to prepare for her college entrance exam. Once a girl has been accepted into a college or university, she is awarded a complete educational scholarship to support her post-secondary schooling and is also eligible to receive full support for her room and board. Read more about sponsoring a Peruvian Hearts Scholar.
Mentorship & Service
Local professional women volunteer as mentors to help provide guidance and inspiration to the young women in Peruvian Hearts. Each mentor is an influential role model for the girls and exemplifies how through hard work, patience, and perseverance, a woman can succeed in following her dreams and transforming her future. The young women in Peruvian Hearts participate independently and collaboratively in various service projects around Cusco and the surrounding communities from which they come.
The Peruvian Hearts scholars meet regularly to develop their self-confidence and abilities associated with self-empowerment. They also host Peruvian Hearts’ annual Women’s Empowerment Conference in Cusco for girls in secondary school and college and gain meaningful leadership skills through experiential education. The young women in Peruvian Hearts also participate in an annual multi-week leadership institute, Visionaria Peru, a Rotary International Project, which emphasizes leadership through cultural identity, self-empowerment and individuality, service, and collaboration as they create and execute community service projects with support from mentors and in conjunction with local NGO’s.